2218 C.S.M. John Alexander Christie.

Contact me

1/5th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment later R.S.M. of the 1/9th Battalion, Manchester Regiment.

Awarded the D.C.M., in the London Gazette of 26 July 1917.

Awarded the Serbian Cross of Karageorge, 1st Class (with swords) in the London Gazette of 15 February 1917.

Christie was a native of Ireland.

The Burnley Express of 1 August 1917 reported:- TERRITORIAL HONOURED. D.C.M., for Burnley Sergeant-Major. Burnley Territorials will be pleased to learn that Sergeant-Major John A. Christie has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. "He has" the official record states, "performed consistent good work throughout, and has at all times set a magnificent example of courage and initiative." Sergeant-Major Christie, who has served throughout the war with the Burnley Territorials, and previously was a familiar and popular figure at the Territorial Head-quarters in Keighley Green, joined the 2nd Battalion (59th), East Lancashire Regiment, on 5 January 1888, in Newry, Ireland. As an all round athlete, he won many prizes for running and swimming. It was not many months before he was appointed Lance-Corporal, and swimming instructor to the battalion. He was on detachment at Drogeda, at the O'Brien trial, and had a very rough time at the courthouse. The battalion moved to Mullinger in 1890, and in January the following year he was promoted to Corporal. Three months later he qualified at Chatham as an instructor in field works. After a stay at Londonderry, Curragh Camp, and other stations in Ireland, the battalion went to Gibraltar in January 1893. In October of that year he was promoted to Lance-Sergeant, and on 1 April 1894, he was raised to Sergeant. The battalion had an eventful stay in Gibraltar, and came back to Aldershot, where he qualified as Transport Sergeant. In 1897 he transferred to the Army Reserve, but after two years in civil life, he was called up on the outbreak of the South African War. He joined the 1st Battalion at Aldershot, and then the Mounted Infantry Company under Captain Head, who was killed at Zoand River. Sergeant Christie was in many engagements, including Paardeburg, where Cronje and 4,000 of his burghers surrendered to Lord Roberts on Majuba Day. After twelve months in Africa, he returned to England, and joined the Depot at Preston under Colonel Brownrigg. Two years were spent at the Depot, and he was then transferred to the 1st Battalion, once more in Dublin. Not content with being at home, he volunteered to go to India, and joined the 59th again. In India he won the sergeants' race and the silver cup with 50 rupees, and also the old soldiers race and 20 rupees in the same afternoon. Three years later he once more set sail for home, and re-joined the 30th on the Curragh, where he was Provost-Sergeant, and afterwards Transport-Sergeant. He was also Pay-Sergeant of "E" Company, under Major Lawrence. Just before leaving the Curragh he went to Woking, Surrey under Lieutenant Patterson. Here again he had charge of the transport, and had some very rough times on manoeuvres, but got through them all right. In 1910 he was transferred to the 5th Battalion East Lancashire Regiment as Sergeant-Instructor. Shortly before the war broke out Sergeant-Major Christie was presented with the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, Colonel J. Craven Hoyle making the presentation, and paying tribute to the recipient's good work. While stationed in Ireland, Sergeant-Major Christie was a member of the detachment football team in Londonderry. The team was never beaten. Christie's usual position was left full-back, but sometimes he figured at left-half. The team used to meet the crack teams of the district at that time. Sergeant-Major Christie holds certificates for field works, regimental transport, mounted infantry, school of musketry, and small arms factory.

The citation for the D.C.M., published in the London Gazette reads :- "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He has performed consistent good work throughout, and has at all times set a magnificent example of courage and initiative."

Christie settled in Burnley and was the landlord of the Derby Pub at Gannow Top until his death aged 65 in August 1934.