Maurice Lister. Merchant Navy.

Contact me

Awarded the Albert Medal in Bronze in the London Gazette of 15 October 1918.

Maurice Lister was the Assistant Butcher on the S.S. Ausonia of the Cunard Steam Ship Company Ltd. As well as his Albert Medal, Lister was awarded the British War, Merchantile Marine and Victory Medals and was also given the Silver War Badge all of which are now in a private collection.

The Burnley Express reported, RESCUE ON TORPEDOED SHIP. Albert Medal for Harle Syke Youth. On October 2nd we published particulars of a brave rescue on a torpedoed ship 600 miles from land by an Harle Syke youth named Maurice Lister (16), of 1, Saxifield Street. On Wednesday it was announced that Lister had been awarded the Albert Medal for his bravery. The official record reads as follows, "The steamship, on which Lister was making his first voyage, was torpedoed. He was in the cooling room at the time and was injured, both ankles being almost helpless. Whilst trying to make his escape he heard cries of distress, and returning, found the pantry boy, Matthew Robinson, 17, of Arthur Street, Seaforth, who was also on his first voyage, with both legs broken. Lister manage to drag the boy on deck, and they were taken into the boats. The pantry boy died later in hospital."

The Burnley Express of 9th August 1919 reported, PREMIER AND BURNLEY BOY. LISTER'S HEROISM MENTIONED IN COMMONS. PROMISE TO CONSIDER COMPENSATION FOR INJURIES. When the National grants for service rendered during the war by the distinguished leaders of the Navy and Army were proposed on Wednesday in the House of Commons, Mr. Anderson, the leader of the Labour Party, who associated himself with all that had been said by the Prime Minister in recognition the splendid services rendered by the officers named, mentioned the case of the boy whose home was at Burnley, and who went to sea at the age of 16 in the course of the war. On his first voyage his ship was torpedoed. At the moment the boy was right down in the hold of the ship, and was seriously injured. He attempted to crawl to the deck, but just as he was leaving the hold he saw that one of his fellow seamen was still in the hold and more seriously injured than himself. With great difficulty this lad got hold of his fellow seaman and, after a fierce struggle, was able to bring him up to the deck along with himself and put him in a position of being rescued by a destroyer. This boy was so seriously injured that he is now at home a cripple, and his mother was not in receipt of any monetary reward for his gallant services. Mr. Lloyd George said, "I have heard of that case for the first time, and it struck me very much. I cannot understand why that gallant boy was not compensated, and I promise that an investigation shall be made into this case".

Awarded the Albert Medal. The Burnley boy that rendered the gallant service was Maurice Lister, aged 17, of 1, Saxifield Street, Harle Syke, Burnley. In May of last year he joined the ANSONIA at Liverpool as a butchers boy, and had been only four days out when the ship was torpedoed 600 miles from land. In the interval he had struck up a friendship with the scullery boy, Matthew Robinson, 17, of Arthur Street, Seaforth, and when the crash came they were in conversation in the butcher's shop in the lower part of the ship. He was rendered unconscious, and on coming round found himself up to the neck in water, and his left ankle broken, and his right foot sprained and wounded. He thought he was now alone, and when he had struggled up to the top of the first flight of stairs he heard a groan. Turning round he saw his pal, Robinson, who called for help. Robinson, who had both broken legs and injuries to his face. Lister went back, got hold of Robinson, and dragged him up the steps, only to find that the door leading to the galley had been jammed by the force of the explosion. However the explosion had forced another opening to the second flight of steps, so he flung a plank over to the second flight of steps and managed to drag Robinson over. At this point some stokers arrived and gave help, taking charge of the rescue of Robinson. Lister dragged himself on to the deck, and was lifted into a boat, in which he was for ten days before being picked up. The pantry boy died in hospital. A naval officer in his report to the Admiralty commented in glowing terms upon Lister's heroism and subsequent conduct, not a murmur of complaint being heard from him the whole of the time he was in the open boat. Lister, who was formerly a weaver, and who has lost a brother in France with the R.F.A.

Lister was awarded the Albert Medal last October.