18575 A/Sergeant Miles B. Redmayne.

Contact me

1st Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment.

Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal in the London Gazette of 16 November 1915.

Redmayne was a native of Nelson, Lancashire.

The Nelson Leader of 6 October 1915 reported, NELSON SERGEANT'S D.C.M. The Hero of the Day. Sergeant Miles Redmayne, of Nelson, who is with the 1st Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry in the field. News of her husbands distinction has been received by Mrs. Redmayne, who resides at Southfield Cottages, from Captain G. H. Penny, the officer commanding the company in which Redmayne is attached. In his letter Captain Penny says, "Your husband has been awarded the D.C.M., for conspicuous gallantry by having a personal hand to hand fight, on September 23rd, with a German, who was eventually taken prisoner by Sergeant Redmayne. He is naturally the hero of the day, and is in the best of spirits. May I congratulate his family for sending such a gallant N.C.O., to the front". Sergeant Redmayne enlisted on January 12th, and was drafted to the front as a private after four months training. He was promoted to his present rank on September 7th. Redmayne was formerly employed at Catlow Quarries, Nelson.

The Burnley Express of 15 July 1916 reported, NELSON D.C.M. KILLED. On Thursday Mrs. Redmayne, wife of Sergeant Miles Redmayne, of the 1st Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment, who resides ast Southfield Cottages, Nelson, received news of the death of her husband in action on July 1st. The intimation was sent by a Sergeant from the same regiment who stated Redmayne "died like a hero". The remainder of the report publishes his citation for the D.C.M., and personal details contained in the earlier report.

The citation for the Distinguished Conduct Medal published in the London Gazette reads: - "For conspicuous gallantry on patrol duty on several occasions, notably near Hamel on 23rd September 1915, when, seeing two German scouts moving towards a mill, he posted two men of his own patrol, and went forward himself around the building to meet them. One of the enemy shot him twice at close range with a revolver, but he shot this man in the arm, closed with him, and threw him to the ground. He finally brought him in as a prisoner."