Frederick Victor Fisher DCM
R/9398 12th Kings Royal Rifle Corps
Killed in Action 12th April 1918, aged 33
Lived at 92 Brockenhurst Street
Commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, France
Burnley Express 9th
The citation for the D.C.M. published in the London
Gazette reads, "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during
an attack. After his officer and another sergeant had been wounded, he
took charge of the platoon, and inspite of severe casualties from machine
gun fire, led them forward. On reaching the final objective he assumed
command of his company, which had no officers left, reorganised it, and
consolidated his position".
Frederick Fisher was killed in action on the 2 April 1918.
He is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, France. He was aged 33 and
the son of William Henry Fisher, of "Hill Crest ", 6, Bournemouth
Park Rd., Southend-on-Sea; husband of Sarah Jane Fisher, of 92, Brockenhurst
St., Fulledge, Burnley, Lancs.
Fisher was born at Liverpool Road, Great Crosby, Lancashire on the 13
May 1887. The family moved to Southend on Sea, Essex in the late 1890's.
Sergeant Frederick Victor FISHER (known as Vic) R/9398,
12th Bn, King's Royal Rifle Corps was awarded a DCM in late 1916 during
WW1. After being wounded he convalesced in Burnley where he met nurse
Sarah Jane PROCTER (known as Cissie). They married 7 Sept 1917 at the
Register Office in Burnley.
He returned to the front and was killed-in-action at Poziers on 2 April
1918. At the time of his death, Sarah Jane's address was 92 Brockenhurst
Street, Fulledge, Burnley. She was born 26 April 1896 in Burnley the daughter
of Elijah PROCTER and Sarah EMMOTT.
family had moved south to Southend-On-Sea in the late 1890's, he was born
a Lancastrian on 13 May 1887 in Liverpool Road, Great Crosby. I am still
trying to discover whether his young wife Sarah Jane (Cissie) Procter
b. 1896 remarried, or if she may have been pregnant with his child at
the time of his death?
Kind regards, Andrew
Sarah Jane Fisher married John William
Wilkinson at the Methodist Chapel, Colne Road, Burnley in 1919.