Private Sydney Woodhead
17141 9th Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
Killed in Action 12th April 1917
Born Bacup, Lived in Burnley
Buried in Chili Trench Cemetery, Gavrelle, France
Burnley Express
Commemorated on Elim Primitive Methodists Memorial

Trophies Melancholy Interest.
(Burnley Express 09/06/17)
After seven weeks of suspense, during which period they had not received a word from any source, Mr & Mrs Woodhead, of 14 Ivy Street, Colne Road, the other day received official intimation that their youngest son, Sydney Woodhead of the Scottish Rifles, had been killed in action on April 12th. The deceased who was 25 years of age, enlisted on December 1st, 1914 and after training at Nigg in Scotland went out on June 1st 1915, and fourteen days later received a slight wound on his left temple. The deceased soldier had had a number of adventures and narrow escapes. He was buried twice in the battle of Delville Wood (Somme), and though wounded extracted his officer, who had been buried three times, and got him to the communication trench, where the Royal Army Medical Corps took him forward. The officer, who had a fractured jaw, was unconscious and on regaining his senses asked the soldier if he were his servant, and on receiving an affirmative reply said “That’s all right.”
He saw service at Ypres and on leaving there had a seven day march in preparation for the big push late July, and was fagged out. On one occasion he had a narrow escape of being shot by a sniper. While passing through a stile, going for rations in company with another soldier, a bullet passed just between them, and on another he was bending down to pick something up from the ground, when a shell dropped at his feet but, fortunately for him, it did not explode. He went through the battle of Loos without a scratch. On coming home on furlough he brought back with him two souvenirs in the shape of a bronze Marli horse and a work box, which he found in a German dug-out. The articles having evidently been obtained during the looting of a Belgium town. He carried them in his kit from September 25th to the following February. They will always now have a melancholy interest.
The deceased soldier, previous to joining the Army, was a tackler at Whitehead and Leaver’s, and was associated with Elim Primitive Methodist Chapel and school, being a member of the choir. He was well known and a highly respected, and a ‘better lad never went out of doors.’ He was of musical taster, with a strong leaning for the organ. Much sympathy has been expressed with Mr & Mrs Woodhead and his sweetheart in their loss, and they are grateful. They have heard of a soldier being in the bowling green at Ightenhill Park recently, when he was heard in remark that he had a letter for Mr & Mrs Woodhead, up Burnley Lane, and they would be pleased to hear from the soldier.
Mr & Mrs Woodhead have another son, Herbert who is with the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, and was wounded by shrapnel at Ypres about a year and eight or nine months ago. They visited him in hospital at Warrington




Back to Home Page Back to Burnley Roll of Honour