George Herbert Marshall DSO
Son of R and Annie Elizabeth Marshall (nee Gomm);Married the daughter of Rev G T Carruthers MA Indian Army ; Educated at the University of Manchester (Honours,School of Economics and Political Science) ; Deacon 1913 ; Priest1914 ; served MEF Gallipoli and Mediterranean Exp.Force July,1915 ; Mesopotamia .Feb-August 16; MID ;att Guards Depot at Caterham, Jan 17 ; BEF ., France Oct 1917 - March 1919 ; Vicar of Shelley , Yorks,1920 then St Matthews Church,Burnley.
George was commissioned as an
Army Chaplain (C of E) on the 13th May 1915 served as a Temporary Chaplain
to the Forces until 1919 when he became an Honoury Chaplain
He was the chaplain who buried Baron Von Richthofen - the ‘Red Baron’
Grave of Baron Von Richthofen "The Red Baron"
With grateful thanks to Charles
Beresford (Matlock Bath at War) and the Archivist at the Museum of Army