Private Herbert Brown
59051 1st Liverpool Regiment
Died of wounds 27th April 1918 ,aged 36
Lived at 31 Cross St.
Buried at Briercliffe Cemetery
Burnley Express 4th May 1918


Herbert enlisted in July 1916 and was sent to France in November of the same year, he was wounded in November 1917 and spent two months in hospital in France. He was then gassed in March 1918 a few days before receiving the wounds which were to take his life, this left him unable to speak. He was fatally wounded in the head, knee and foot and was sent from France to a hospital in Sunderland where he arrived on the 2nd of April and subsequently died. He left a wife and daughter (aged 5) . Prior to his enlistment he was employed at Mason, west and Bather's Mill, Harle Syke. Previous to moving to Harle Syke the family had lived in Burnley and he had been attached to Holy Trinity all his life. He was a keen follower of football and cricket.


The remains of Pte. Herbert Brown, of 31 Cross-st, Harle Syke, were laid to rest on Thursday in the graveyard of St. James’s Church, the vicar officiating. There were a good many floral tributes sent by mourning relatives and friends. Pte. Brown was attached to the King’s Liverpool Regt. (No. 59051), and was 36 years of age. He received the wounds of which he died on March 28th , being wounded in the head, knee, and foot. He was sent across from France to a hospital at Sunderland, where he arrived on April 2nd and where he died on April 27th. His wife and a relative had paid him a visit there. He enlisted on July 29th , 1916, trained at Whitchurch, and crossed over to France on Dec. 3rd , 1916. He had been previously wounded in Nov. 1917, and was in hospital in France for two months. A few days previous to March 28th he had been gassed, which left him speechless. He leaves a widow, and a girl five years of age. He was employed as a weaver at Mason, West and Bather’s Mill, Harle Syke. The family formerly lived in Burnley, where they attended Mitre-st. Sunday School, he having been attached to Holy Trinity all his life. He was fond of cricket and football.



Back to Home Page Back to Holy Trinity Memorial