Lance-Corpl.William Johnson
41704 4th Kings Own Liverpool Regiment
Killed in Action 20th November 1917
in Belgium, aged 27
Lived at 12 Kendall St.
Buried in Dochy Farm New British Cemetery Belgium
Burnley Express 12th December 1917


It will be a matter of regret to his many friends in Burnley to learn that Lce,-Corpl. William Johnson, 41704, of the King’s Liverpool Regiment, whose wife resides at 12, Kendall-street, Burnley, was killed in action on November 20th. He was 26 years of age, and previous to enlistment was employed by Messrs. Grimshaw, brewers Burnley. In religious life he was identified with St. Aidan’s Mission, King-street. It was in the sporting life of the town that the deceased soldier had gained a reputation.
For several seasons he was a member of the Burnley Reserve team, with which he played with some degree of success in the seasons 1911-12-13-14, appearing in all on 28 occasions, generally, not always, at half-back. He was the holder of several gold medals for his prowess on the football field. One medal was achieved when playing with St. Aidan’s cricket team when they won the Hospital cup.
Lce.-Corpl. Johnson springs from a military family, and was born at Aldershot, while his father was stationed there, and afterwards migrated to India along with his parents, and eventually settled in Burnley some eleven years ago, since which time he had gained the esteem and respect of a large section of the social and sporting section of the community.
His father, Col.-Sergt.-Major Walter Johnson, has 24 years service with the colours, including the Boer War, and is now serving with the King’s Liverpools at Oswestry, while his brother, Sergt. Walter Johnson, also of the King’s Own, will shortly leave England with his regiment for East Africa.
The deceased soldier joined the Army on June 6th last year, and received his training at Whitchurch and Pembroke Docks, and was then drafted to France, whence after a short period he was invalided home, and was sent to Cardiff for treatment, and on recovery returned to France, on September 4th, of the present year. Since that time he has gone through many a trying ordeal.
A memorial service to his honour will be held at St. Aidan’s Mission on Saturday next.



Back to Home Page Back to Holy Trinity Memorial